But first up is the backbone of Japanese cuisine: Dashi!
Dashi is a Japanese broth, used in a wide variety of dishes. Usually it's made with konbu (kelp) and bonito flakes, but we have a delicious vegan alternative that you can easily make at home with HARIO's Dashi Pot. Check it out below!
Vegan Shiitake-Konbu Dashi
- Dried shiitake mushrooms (3)
- Konbu (1 piece, 10cm x 10cm)
- Water (800mL)
- Add the shiitake mushrooms to the Dashi Pot.
- Use a clean kitchen towel to lightly clean the konbu.
- Break the konbu into two pieces, and add those to the Dashi Pot as well.
- Now add the water, and leave the pot in the refrigerator for at least five hours.
- After five hours, make sure to take out the konbu, as this tends to get slimy otherwise!
You can keep the dashi in the refrigerator for three days, or up to a month when stored in a freezer!